SPOILERS!

I WANT TO MAKE THIS PERFECTLY CLEAR: I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU READ A POSTING AND I TELL YOU THE ENDING. IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK OR SEEN THE MOVIE THAT I AM POSTING ABOUT, DO NOT READ THE POSTING. KTHNXBYE.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Purge

Okay, so it's 4 a.m. and I have insomnia. Just can't sleep. It's been a VERY long time since I've blogged and I just watched this movie that I have to discuss. So I turned on HBO and The Purge was just starting. You always feel lucky when you happen to catch a movie when it's just starting! I had been wanting to see this movie with the new one coming out. It raised a question that I can't quite shake: if The Purge were real, would you participate? I mean, the people in the streets purging their anger and violence on seemingly innocent people seems wrong, that much is obvious. I definitely rooted for this nice little family to live because everyone else just seemed psychotic. As the movie went on however, I found myself yelling at the boy, Charlie, for first letting the stranger in, second helping the stranger hide in the house, and third generally being an idiot. Now, I want to say that Rhys Wakefield did an excellent job playing the Polite Leader in the merry band of purgers that encompasses the house. He was creepy, but still managed to look very attractive while being completely psychotic. Instead of throwing this homeless guy to the purgers, the family decides to fight back, which I think was really stupid. Ethan Hawke was all ready to toss the guy out when his family was all ::whiny voices:: "No this is wrong, look what you're doing, look what you've become" and so Ethan changes his mind. There are at least 10 psychos surrounding your house, they're going to get in and you have your unstable wife and your two dumb kids. Odds are not in your favor, sir. So Ethan takes this huge gun that is more like a canon and kills a bunch of the purgers. This is when I have to call time-out. So instead of one man dying, Ethan Hawke is killing a bunch of other people, kids even. All of these purgers look like they are in their late-teens, early twenties. This makes no sense at all. After Ethan kills 5 of the purgers, he turns to leave and the Polite Leader sticks a huge knife in his gut. Remember in Crocodile Dundee when Paul Hogan says the line "That's not a knife. THIS is a knife"? That big knife he pulled out? It was like that. No one survives that. SPOILER ALERT: Ethan Hawke dies. I predicted that fate early on. Then out of nowhere, these random people in evening wear come in and start killing all of the purgers and it seems like they are there to help the remaining Sandins. Nope. It is their crazy neighbors, taking advantage of the situation. They are jealous of the Sandins and want to kill them while it's legal. The stranger is forgotten about until now, when he gets one up on the neighbors, kills one, then holds the rest of the them at gunpoint. Lena Headey decides she doesn't want to sink to their level and kill them so she just holds them until morning. So my analysis is this: everyone in this movie is an idiot. Especially the child. All of those deaths, now he is fatherless, all because he was a moron. To answer my own question, I honestly can't say for sure that I would not participate in the annual purge. I don't think I'd be a murdering psycho, but I don't think I would sit at home, waiting to be brutally murdered.

No comments:

Post a Comment